It’s the jackpot of the blogging world. Finding trending blog topics and riding the wave of popularity. Is it down to luck or is there a sure-fire way of spotting trends?
I’ve come up with a list of 115 trending blog topics updated for 2020 to help you out. This list is based on Pinterest’s 100 trends, trends you can use right now for your latest blogging niche.
All these blog topic ideas are based on sound money making niches such as home decor or health and fitness. Niches that pander to our aspirations. You can find a more detailed list of the types of blogs that make money in my Ultimate Start A Blog Guide.
In the blogging world, not all niches are equal and some are easier to monetize but the basic principal is to write about popular topics.
Find a trending subject, promote for free on Pinterest and you’re on your way to making your first blogging income…
Trending Blog Topic Ideas
Looking through the list from Pinterest for 2020, some themes such as travel with an eco-conscience and avoiding over-crowded hotspots, are a development of trends from 2019.
Similarly the yearning for nature continues and there’s a slightly desperate call to de-stress and add meaning to our modern lives. Expect to be wild camping or trying to feng-shui your living space at some stage in 2020.
The Pinterest list has big sections on gender-neutral, wellness and pampered pets, no big surprises there. Looking at trends around the home there’s a good chance some of us will never leave the house in 2020. Garden rooms, home theatres and working from home are all strong trends.
Fun comes in the form of a throw back to the 90’s and we’re all inspired by space. Those on-trend will be seeing in the New Year at galaxy-themed events.
115 Trending Blog Topics
- Creating the perfect garden room – your very own secret garden.
- Making a statement with upcycled home decor.
- Fun and energy efficient lighting ideas – Discover solar light crafts.
- Keep a granny – build a back garden granny pod.
- Daily workout ideas – from your living room.
- Up your TV game with a surround sound audio room.
- Discover your Zen with an indoor water fountain.
- Make movie watching a friends only experience with your own home theatre.
- Love coffee? Create your very own coffee station.
- Brighten up your bathroom – Spanish style!
- Move over minimalism – say hello to Indian living rooms!
- Oversized sculptures, shiny brass and colorful cushions – it’s time to liven up your living space Indian style!
- Create your own desert with Australian inspired landscaping.
- In love with tradition – a new age for French antiques.
- Deep soaking tubs – a Japanese tradition.
- Dog patios – a luxurious dog-friendly oasis.
- Bring the outdoor indoors with calming house plants and sun rooms.
- Create a green wall and bring the outdoors inside.
- Feng-shui your living space (an essential way to de-stress and re-energize).
- Outdoor kitchen bars – beer and kebabs in your own back garden.
- Get the train – travel with an eco-conscience.
- Help save the planet with a weekend staycation.
- Learn from the experts – visit an eco-city.
- Discover eco-friendly travel and reduce your carbon footprint.
- Lend a hand with agritourism.
- Education abroad is a must for your next semester.
- The latest one-upmanship? A getaway in the most unusual eco-structure.
- Tips for travelers to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Catch a big one with these lake fishing travel tips.
- Avoiding over-crowded hotspots for an authentic holiday.
- Rockhounding – start digging for geodes and gems.
- Embracing nature travel – soak in a hot spring or hike in the woods.
- How good is your fire starting? Brush up your wild camping skills.
- Wilderness survival skills to toughen up the whole family.
- The Aurora Borealis – nature’s take on a magic show.
- Macedonian cooking holidays for the adventurous traveler.
- Grunge is back – combat boots, flannels and oversized outerwear.
- Y2K outfits – army pants, hip chains and logomania!
- Grab your trainers, baby tees and hoodies for your 90s streetwear look.
- It’s back to the 90s – get your hip-hop party outfit on!
- Pull on your bucket hat and party like it’s 1999.
- New to the 90s? Get your 90s starter pack here!
- Your throwback shopping list – 90s style.
- Androgynous wedding dresses, minimalist and gender neutral.
- Rock a tuxedo dress – if you dare!
- Ditch the pink and blue with gender neutral children’s clothes.
- Mix and match secondhand fashion for a fresh new look.
- Score a thrifted wedding dress – wedding on a budget retro style.
- Get into work mode with the perfect work-from-home outfit.
- Dress to impress (work-from-home style).
- Essential tools for remote workers.
- From nature to city streets – hiking fashion becomes mainstream.
- Layers and hiking boots – walk the talk!
- 90s music artists – we know they’re the best!
- Protest – shouting about climate-change.
- Get on-board the low-waste lifestyle trend.
- Working towards a sustainable future – businesses getting on-board.
- Tips for businesses – take the lead by reducing packaging.
- Think before you buy – try these eco-friendly swaps to ditch the plastic.
- Take a stand against pollution with ocean-rubbish art.
- Pack your zero-waste travel essentials and save the planet.
- Make “I-do” sustainable with a low waste wedding.
- Opt for homemade gifts with thrift-shop crafts.
- 90s cartoons – we all missed them!
- Androgyne flags – yes there’s a flag for everyone.
- Get on-trend with a gender-neutral haircut.
- Hair clips 90s style – butterfly or bedazzled.
- Braided hairstyles 90s style – they’re back!
- Love some lippy – shiny lip gloss and liner makes a comeback!
- Still wearing scrunchies? Go for the luxe look…
- Grow your microgreens indoors for healthy salads all-year round.
- Flip your coffee for some chicory root benefits.
- Cuke up and discover cucumber juice – healthy and tasty.
- Sea moss – possibly the solution to everything.
- Find your brewing equipment and craft your own cold ones.
- Kabapi anyone? Learn to cook Macedonian style!
- Lush tastes of coconut with these sweet Filipino desserts.
- Dates and baklava – it’s time for Arabic sweets.
- Spicy and satisfying – wholesome West-African food.
- Curry for breakfast? Say yes to Kerala food!
- Name that child – pick a gender-neutral name.
- The essential gender-neutral party theme if you don’t want to be dished at the school gates.
- Designing a children’s playroom – gender-neutral is best.
- Outdoor play areas – dig, splash, slide and get dirty!
- Avoid stereotypes with a gender-neutral nursery.
- Blend up something nutritious with homemade baby foods.
- Pampered pets – find a luxury pet resort.
- Farm to table dog food for pampered pets.
- Cats will play – your custom-built outdoor cat playground.
- Keep it discreet – from pee pits to patio potties for your garden’s dog toilet area.
- Goating around! Goat playground ideas for balancing practice.
- Keep your blind dog save with a protective halo.
- From Halloween to everyday with dapper pet fashion.
- Party like a cat with these cat birthday party ideas.
- Keep those tails wagging with these dog-safe cake recipes.
- Save your precious memories with a pet memorial.
- Keep your bunnies calm with the latest design in rabbit hutches.
- Self-discovery journal prompts to get-to-know yourself.
- Could you survive a social-media detox?
- Empower yourself – embrace being single.
- Personal wellness routines for everyday life.
- Colourful creative ways to destress with these art therapy activities.
- Ylang ylang – the latest essential oil trend.
- Press play on your favourite mood-booster playlist.
- Share your travel stories and inspirational quotes.
- Astrology-themed parties – are your stars aligned?
- Two the moon birthday parties for toddlers.
- Discover the Galaxy for an out-of-this-world birthday.
- Clever crafts with pipe-cleaner constellations.
- STEM space activities for kids.
- Test out your acrylic painting skills with easy galaxy painting.
- Make sure you’ve got your NASA hoodie.
- Space watch with your constellation earrings.
- Commit to your love of space with geometric space tattoos.
- Go intergalactic and make a daring statement with planet make-up.
Will These Trending Blog Topics Make Money?
So there you have it! 115 blog ideas to help you answer what to blog about! Some of these ideas can be blog posts to write straightaway or topics you can use for your blogging niche.
It’s far easier to capture an audience with a clearly defined niche. Just because it’s a niche doesn’t mean it can’t have a huge audience. Just think, a niche such as home-made bread, gets 1 million+ searches on Pinterest a year!
Successful Niche Blogs
The site Preowned Wedding Dresses has been going since 2004, so the thrifted wedding dress trend is certainly not a new concept. Being on-trend just means the site can expect a really good year in 2020.
Some of the ideas on this list are more niche than others. The trend for pampering pets is unlikely to disappear anytime soon, but a specific dog-safe cake baking blog is certainly more risky. It’s better to start a niche blog about pampered pets and write a few dog-safe cake baking posts mixed in with your other pampered pets material.
Think about yourself as the reader. Is this a topic that could become a major interest or hobby, such as survival skills? Or is it more of a one-off – something like ocean rubbish art?
Last year succulents were everywhere and the niche site Succulents and Sunshine must have loved the cactus boom. It seemed a short lived trend but checking traffic stats, this niche site continues to grow strongly. By all means hop on a trend but for real success make sure there’s sufficient long-term interest for when the trend starts to fade.
Is It Too Late To Hop On These Trending Topics?
It’s a gamble. If you rush out and start a blog about sea moss tomorrow, the trend may have passed by the time your blog is established. Real trend setters will be writing about topics months before they hit the Pinterest 100 list.
Here are a few alternative sources if you’re serious about being on trend:
Checking out the daily search patterns is just a bit overwhelming. Google’s Year In Search is more enlightening. You can also search in trends for your chosen niche. There’s no prizes for guessing Intermittent fasting is the top diet trend for 2019.
Want to know what questions people are asking? Quora is a good place to look. Search for a topic and a list of questions will appear. Pick out the recent results a high number of answers.
Exploring sub-reddits is a great way to find the trending issues people care about in your chosen niche. It’s an excellent market research tool. Used with discretion, you can get direct feedback on ideas for your niche.
Answer The Public
Want to know the questions people are asking right now? Answer The Public is a free resource providing the questions people are currently asking for any keyword.
Pick a question and turn it into a blog topic for amazing results. It’s worked for me and I’m sure it can work for you too!
Just type your topic into Google directly. Scroll down and find the People Also Ask box. Just like Answer The Public, these are questions people are searching for right now.
Google may be a little slower to respond and update than Pinterest and other social media channels, but ti’s still an excellent source of information for your next blog post.
Pinterest Monthly Trends
Every month Pinterest comes up with some ideas for trending topics. These results are often bang up-to-date. For example, their top trends for December 2019 include homemade reed diffusers and green caffeine. Jump onboard now!
Conclusion – Picked Your Blog Topic? What Comes Next…
Don’t take too long choosing a topic. The best bit about blogging is it’s okay to fail. The worse thing you can do is never start.
Pick a blog topic and follow my Ultimate Start A Blog Guide to make a success of 2020.
Ready to go?